Saturday, August 7, 2010

update..

YES, I finally got an update today!

Two days ago, I came into the ER at Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix. I came because I wanted to talk to some experienced doctors about what the heck is going on. So I come in expecting to see the doctors, get some info and be on my way. WRONG. I'm actually still here... I've been waiting for a specific surgeon, the Chief of Surgery to be exact. I'm not gonna lie, I think it's pretty cool that the Chief will be operating on me... I just think of the Chief on Grey's anatomy and feel more comfortable lol. Anyways, the day after I came in I was supposed to see this surgeon but somehow he was out of town... how do things like this always happen?? So Brady and I waited it out the whole day and then he was supposed to come in the next morning.. not! He didn't come till 3, but at least he came. He was really nice and I felt super comfortable with him so that was a real relief. I haven't been trusting too many doctors lately and it was nice that I could feel like I trusted him. So he proceeds to explain the type of tumor I have and where it was.. yadda yadda yadda.. all stuff I already know. Then he starts to talk about some new things, like the fact that my tumor is growing in a way that suggests that it is more aggressive than most tumors of this kind. He also explained that the reason why he was so late was because for the last couple of hours he had been trying to do some research. He told me that there was practically no research done on pregnant women with this cancer and that we are basically in no mans land. The only bit of information he could find was a little sentence that said there had only been 20 cases of pregnant women with this type of tumor. Do you know how rare that it??? Like sooooooooooooooooo soooooo soooooooo rare... like One in a trillion.... seriously. Oh and I also have a heart murmur and irritable bowl syndrome... suuhhhweet. . could it get any better?? and the answer is yes.. The doctor told me that I should probably have the surgery but I have to wait until I am in my second trimester but no one seems to know exactly how far along I am. It's either 11 or 12 weeks, but they need to be as precise as possible. He also said that he wants to get a hold of some additional information from my previous surgery. He wants the slides from the pathology report to see the structure of the cells and a copy of my MRI to see if there are any masses on my lymph nodes or my liver. If my tumor were to be spreading it would probably spread to either the liver or the surrounding lymph nodes. They also have to monitor my urine for 24 hours. They do this to see if there are any unusual levels of serotonin which would suggest a tumor on my liver which can cause this thing called Carcinoid Syndrome.. even more rare... wahooo. Maybe I will end up being one of a kind... kinda cool right? I also might have to have a... dun dun dun... colonoscopy.... and that my friends is the icing on the cake. All I have to say is this bites... big time. I'm so bored being cooped up in this hospital room with nothing but a tv and computor... those only last sooo long. I also am just down right scared... I know this surgery is going to hurt... and bad. I mean I have to be in the hospital for 5 days! My aunt had BRAIN surgery and was only in for 2... My friend Shannon had a surgery similar to this and she was telling me how bad it sucked... so I know I'm not in for anything fun. So as of right now, I'm just waiting for them to do all these tests and maybe I will get to go home before the surgery if I'm not in my second trimester yet. YAY!! Thats like the most exciting thing to look forward to.... kinda lame, I know.

anyways thats all for now!!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Aww Alexes I think about you a lot. I hope you're okay. I'll keep praying for you and please let me know if there's anything I can do! Babysitting?

Katie said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope that everything goes as smooth as it can. If we can help, please let us know.

Natalie DeVore said...

wow, I am so so sorry! I wish there was something I could do all the way up here in Utah. I'll just continue to pray for you that everything will turn out okay. You're awesome

Bree Chandler said...

Dear Beautiful Friend, I Want you to know that I realize I suck as a Friend. But I also realize how AMAZING YOU ARE. Like Katie. You pop into my head All the Time. Just random memories of how much fun you are and how much i LOVE YOU! I dont know how we didnt keep in touch! Everytime I put on makeup I remember when one time I put eyeliner on the inside of my eyelid and you said " OHHH It looks SO good like that!!" and How we used to compare our butts in your mirror. Yours is OBVIOUSLY more amazing than mine. Haha....Anyway, I totally love you. And I reeeally Really Hope you know I MEAN it. Im not just sayin it! You are sooo gorgeous and I hope that SOON we can get together. I also Hope that you know that everything will work out, EXACTLY how it needs to. The Lord knows you, and Loves you and watches over you and your Family. I am SURE grateful I know you! You are amazing! and your Family is Beautiful! Love ya Girl! :) Keep a smile on that pretty face of yours, cause Its amazing. Love ya! :)

Brady & Alexes Brown said...

Thanks everyone!! You are all awesome and I Love you guys!!

Bree- YOU are amazing!! I really miss you a ton... I think we should try to get together sometime soon if I'm not sitting in the hospital lol!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...