Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Crazy Life: Part 2

So... after all the pains stopped in my stomach, I felt really blessed that Heavenly Father helped me through the pain. Then life went on normally until I got a phone call from my doctor who did my surgery in Utah. He actually called my husband since I wasn't answering my phone but he left a message that he needed to talk to me about the lab work they did on my appendix. I figured they just found an infection because at the hospital my doctor told me that he didn't really notice any infection and that I didn't need to take any antibiotics. So I figured the worse it could be was that I needed to take some additional medicine. I was so wrong. So wrong in fact that I wish that had been what he needed to talk about when he called. SO I call him back, he starts of by asking me how I was doing and how my pregnancy was going. I told him about the pain I had over the weekend and he said we could talk about that late. So then he says, "Well while doing the pathology on your appendix we found a tumor." ummm... what?? like a tumor? It didn't really hit me at first when he said it, and honestly it still hasn't hit me but anyways he tells me what it is called, a Carcinoid Tumor of the Appendix, and asks me to do some research online so I can learn more about it. He then gave me a number to a doctor down here in Arizona that I could go see so she could explain things more to me. So I called and made an appointment with that doctor but they couldn't get me in until the following Tuesday. So I immediately called my mom and she totally freaked out. Granted she has been dealing with a lot lately due to the fact that she basically left her job to take care of her sister who is suffering from Brain Cancer... But after she got off the phone with me she made some phone calls to her surgeon friends to understand what was going on. Keep in mind at this point I haven't really figured out whats going on myself either, I basically think that I just had a little tumor on my appendix which has already been removed so whats the big deal right? wrong. So after my mom gets done talking with all her doctor friends she calls me back and completely freaks me out by getting really upset and breaking the news to me that I have cancer.... I just started crying.... I just didn't really know what was going on and here I have my mom freaking out on the phone just talking away and all I can here is cancer. cancer. cancer.... So then I proceed to call my dad who in currently in remission from Leukemia and he really calmed me down. He knows what this process is like and his advice really made me feel better about everything. So from then on I haven't really been too upset about this whole thing. It is completely surreal... like it really isn't happening. Here are some stats on my cancer. It's called Appendiceal Carcinoid Cancer. It usually only happens on people who are in their 40's or 50's. It is a rare form of cancer, and it's even more rare to have it on your appendix. Size is a huge issue with this form of cancer, when your tumor is under 1.9cm then they just remove your appendix. Mine was 2cm and they aren't sure if there was more to it. So they have to go back in and do what is called a hemicolectomy which is to remove up to half of my colon. I'm pretty scared for the surgery.. I really freaked out when I had my appendix out and this surgery is a much bigger deal. When I had my appendix out, I was released the next day and I feel better in a few days. With this surgery I will be in the hospital for three to four days and then in bed for two weeks after that and then in the two weeks after that I will start to feel back to normal... all I have to say is this sucks!! and to make things even more complicated we are in the middle of moving to Washington!! But thats a story for another day :)

7 comments:

Natalie DeVore said...

oh my goodness! Alexes I am so sorry. We'll be thinking and praying for you. I hope the surgery goes smoothly! You are awesome.

Katie said...

Oh Alexes...you are in my prayers. I hope everything goes well!! Let me know if you need anything please!!

Mandi Abaroa said...

We're here to support you along the way. You are an amazing person. I'm sorry that this is a struggle that you have, if I could take it away I could. But thank goodness you have friends, family and ward members, the gospel to lean on. No one will let you feel like you are alone in this. We're all here for you!

Hills said...

Holy cow girl! I am so sorry to hear the news. You are one strong girl, gorgeous, an amazing wife and mommy. We're rootin for ya and are here if you EVER need anything. Pleas Please dont hesitate to ask for anything, we arent too far away! We sure love ya guys! See you Friday! :)

Brady & Alexes Brown said...

ahh thanks everyone!! I am so lucky to have such a wonderful support system.. I love all of you and I am soo thankful I have you guys!!

Winn & Holly Workman said...

Oh my gosh! Alexes that is all so crazy and Winn just told me you guys are expecting a new baby! Congratulations on that and good luck on everything else going on in your life right now....I am kepping you guys in my prayers!

Katie said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is to hear that there is cancer in your body.
You are in our thoughts and prayers and we wish you the very best.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...